The British Academy (BA) is inviting applications to the second 2016 round of the Newton Advanced Fellowships scheme. Fellowship funding is available over a period of up to three years (depending on the applicant’s home country) to support researchers working in any area of the social sciences and humanities. The aims of the fellowship scheme are to:
- Facilitate the development of a well-trained research community, which can contribute to advancing economic development and social welfare of the partner country, by transferring skills and creating new knowledge.
- Reinforce research excellence in partner countries by providing a platform for promising independent, early to mid-career researchers and their research groups and networks to develop their research through training, collaboration, reciprocal visits and the transfer of knowledge and skills from the UK.
- Support the forging of long-term links between the best research groups and networks in partner countries and the UK, to ensure that improvements in research capacity are sustainable in the longer term.
Eligible applicants will hold a PhD, or have equivalent research experience, and have less than 15 years’ postdoctoral research experience. They must also be working in Malaysia, Mexico or South Africa and hold a permanent or fixed-term contract in an eligible university or research institute which spans the duration of the project. For this round, Malaysia-based applicants must be Malaysian citizens, while both nationals and non-nationals in Mexico and South Africa can apply.
UK co-applicants must also hold a permanent or fixed-term contract spanning the duration of the project in a publicly funded UK university or research institute, and be an established researcher of at least postdoctoral (or equivalent) status.
Maximum funding and project duration is dependent on the partner country:
- For Mexico and South Africa, funding is capped at £37,000 per annum for three years.
- For Malaysia, funding is capped at £37,000 per annum for two years.
OR sign up for the Newton Call workshop to learn about the British Council – CONACyT calls within the Newton Fund in Mexico : First workshop – Manchester, Venue: British Council (The Library)
Address: Bridgewater House | 58 Whitworth Street | Manchester | M1 6BB
Date: 29 July
Registration: 3 p.m. Starts: 3:30 p.m. Ends: 6:00 p.m.
Please note places are limited and you will need to book a place by 25 July 2 p.m. UK time. For confirmations please fill in this form and further details will be sent a few days before the event