This call, issued under the Public Health Research Programme’s commissioned funding stream, seeks proposals for applications for large-scale primary research projects which address an issue of major strategic public health importance.
- Funding body: National Institute for Health Research (NIHR)
- Maximum value: Discretionary
- Application deadline: 01/01/2018
Applications are welcome from any UK-based researcher who considers themselves able to carry out high quality medical research. Concerns regarding eligibility should be discussed with the NIHR at an early stage.
Successful proposals are likely to be multi-disciplinary, and draw on varying areas of expertise. For instance, proposals involving randomised control trials should solicit the input of an experienced trials unit. A commitment to team working is also encouraged, and applicants may wish to consider collaborative applications between several institutions.
The PHR Programme does not support:
- Research for which there is not a strong and well demonstrated case for importance to public health.
- Intervention and other non-research costs.
- The testing of new health technologies or diagnostic techniques – these may fall within the remit of the HTA Programme.
- Proposals which are solely or mainly surveys, audits or needs assessments.
- PhD studentships.
Terms and Conditions
Proposals are assessed according to the following criteria:
- Scientific quality:
- Will the study improve understanding of the topic area?
- Will the study make a substantial advance in scientific understanding/knowledge?
- Evidence of the necessary blend of skills, research experience, project management processes and infrastructure.
- Explanation of the proposed number of participants, and demonstration of ability to recruit this number.
- Consideration of social, ethical and legal implications of the proposed work.
- Reasonable costs and value for money.
Outline applications must be made via the NETSCC Management Information System (MIS) by the deadline of 1 January 2018.
The NIHR Research Design Service and Clinical Trials Unit can assist with designing and developing research proposals.
Useful documents & links
Addresses and contacts
For further information on how to obtain this grant locally, please contact the following:
- PHR Programme
National Institute for Health Research (NIHR)
University of Southampton Science Park
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 9697