An open call for innovative research on the economic and social value of health in the UK
- Our research programme is now open for applications.
- £1.5 million is available for research that builds the evidence for health as an asset for the economy and society, and generates new knowledge to understand the impact that the health of an individual has on their own social and economic outcomes.
- Each project will receive between £150,000 and £350,000 for research that is up to three years in duration.
- Deadline for applications: 12.00 noon, Friday 29 September 2017.
The Health Foundation’s new £1.5 million funding programme is a research-led open call for innovative research on the economic and social value of health in the UK.
Economic and social factors have a complex, dynamic and multi-directional relationship with people’s health. While much is known about their impact on people’s health, relatively little is understood about the impact of individuals’ health on the economy and society.
The Health Foundation is seeking to support research up to three years in duration that aims to generate new knowledge and expand our understanding of the impact that a person’s physical and/or mental health has on their own economic and social outcomes over the medium to long term. We are looking to fund a number of projects, between £150,000 and £350,000, that span a range of age groups and different social and economic outcomes.
The key areas of interest for this programme include:
- the impact of a person’s health on the economic and social aspects of their life, both at specific points in time, and over the course of their lives
- understanding how individuals’ different experiences of health leads to varying economic and social outcomes in the future
- comparing across generations to find out whether similar experiences of health result in different outcomes, reflecting a changing context
- methods that test explicitly whether health affects economic and social outcomes, rather than economic and social factors affecting health.
Projects funded as part of this call will help to develop understanding of the economic and social case for investing in strategies that maintain, protect and create health more broadly than through investment in health care, by reframing health as an asset that can potentially deliver wider economic and social returns on investment.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this research programme, please go through the following steps to complete your application.
1. Important supporting information
2. The application process
The application form will require you to supply information to meet all the selection criteria outlined in the Notes for applicants.
All applications must be completed and submitted via our online system AIMS.
Full guidance on accessing, completing and submitting your application via AIMS can be found in the Applicants user guide. We recommend that you keep a copy of this manual to hand to refer to while you complete your application.
3. Information call
We held an information call on Thursday 17 August. Information calls offer applicants the opportunity to hear more about the programme and ask questions to clarify understanding. Download the transcript of the information call.
The deadline for online applications is 12.00 (midday) on Friday 29 September 2017. We will not accept submissions after this date.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in December 2017. Interviewed applicants will be advised of the outcome by the end of the year.
Please note: If you have any queries about the programme or application process, email: TheEconomicAndSocialValueOfHealth@health.org.uk.